Install the Mathematical Visualization Toolkit Version 2.0
Most people already have Java installed on their computers, so for you people all that you need to do is:
- Download the MVT JAR file by right-clicking here and select Save Link As...
- Save it to a location that you will remember (ie - the desktop).
- If you are interested in the topic-specific visualization tools (accessible via the "applications" menu in MVT, then download ducapps.jar.
- Mac OS X machines: just locate the file and double-click it in order to run the MVT application.
- Windows machines: just locate the file "mvtclasses.jar" and double-click it. If your computer doesn't know how to open the file, right click on the file, and select "open with". Then select JavaW or Java Web Start.
- Unix-based OS: put the MVT JAR file (mvtclasses.jar) in your CLASSPATH and then type
or alternatively you can run it without installing it in your CLASSPATH by moving to the directory that contains mvtclasses.jar and typing
java -jar mvtclasses.jar
If the MVT application did not start up, then most likely you do not have the Java Runtime Environment installed (or have an older JRE installed).
The MVT requires that you have the Java Runtime Enviornment (JRE) version 1.2 or above installed on your computer. To check your current version of Java for
- Windows machines: Check for "Java 2 Runtime Environment" in your Start->Programs menu. If that option is there, then the JRE is installed.
- Unix-based OS or Mac OS X: Open up a terminal window and then type
java -version and assert that the current version is 1.2 or above.
The most recent Java Runtime Environment (JRE) can be found here. Find the correct JRE for your operating system and then run the installation as instructed.
If these instructions did not help you successfully install the MVT as an application, then please let us know at email@example.com.